Monday 2 January 2017

Into The New World!

Originally published: 09/20/2015.

Having spent 21 years of your life in one city makes you prone to adventures when you move to another country. And this, my friend, is a reminiscence. A pensieve for me. Only this is not going to be in a locked cupboard in my inaccessible office, but stuck in some branch of the web into which you might accidentally stumble.

So I leave my beautiful city of lakes, to reach the capital. I am confused. I am scared. 
But I'm excited. Very, very excited. 
I wave a good bye to my loved ones, with a heavy heart and a broad smile, I look forward to the very first journey I am going to take all by myself! To explore the world on my own!
I complete the formalities at Delhi airport, take my flight, reach London, and later Philadelphia.
Welcome to the United States of America. 
Hm, so I am done with my immigration and customs, and have 5-hours more before my next flight. The airport looks the same. Weather, can't tell. People are surely different. The food...well let us find that out.

Okay, so I have no idea how things work. I don't know the names of most of these restaurants, and I don't know what to order. I am not even sure how to order.
Well, the name of this salad is written in green, and everything else is in red. I'll get this one. Great way of choosing, right? Wow, an Indian person on the cash counter. Feels good to find a name whose pronunciation I know.

Okay, so I did he transaction correctly. And I am getting the salad with cheddar cheese and cottage cheese on lettuce, tomatoes, and bacon.
Wait, what? BACON?!
Dude! I'm a vegetarian.
Sure, I'll have the bacon removed.

Okay, so I don't think I can survive without garam masala over here. What's the difference between trash and recycle? Great, I don't even know how to get rid of this thing. Nevermind, the coffee is the same everywhere, right. I'll just try to put this really, really long day (literally) behind me. Hm, try not to convert this into Indian currency.

First sip. Oh no, I am too tired and ashamed to ask for sugar. I can have this cappuccino bitter. Yes, I can. Yep. Hm. Maybe not the entire thing. Okay, half of it. Come on, dude, at the least try. One more sip. Okay my flight has been delayed by another hour. Sure, I'll finish the coffee. Or, not. I can not do this. What's the difference between trash and recycle? Great, I don't even know how to get rid of this thing. Nevermind.

No comments:

Post a Comment